We say we’re living in a digital world and how people are connected through the internet more than ever. However, when it comes to using social networking most people are still very primitive. The latest addition to this came yesterday when a teacher was blackmailed on Facebook into sex by the suspect who befriended her on Facebook (News Here).
I think the reason for people to act differently online than in real life is a very complex one, social networking has only been here for like 10 years and most people on Facebook have been there since 2008 or later so most probably they’ve been social networking for only 4 years or less. It’s a new thing for all human beings and people have failed to understand the differences and similarities in real life and life online.
- What makes people not to share their photos with everyone in real life while sharing them with everyone in the world on Facebook?
- What makes people not be friendly and talk with strangers in real life while people accept every friend request on Facebook without even knowing that person exist in real life?and believe what they say.
- What makes people not to share their private information in real life while they share everything what comes to their mind on Twitter?
I think people, specially children needed to be taught how to be safe on social networking and internet safety practices before they starting to use internet as we do with other things in real life. However, the fascinating thing is because internet and social networking has been there for a very short time it’s a new thing even for parents, and parents themselves don’t know how to be safe when it comes to being online.
I think I was lucky in that way because I started learning about computers and internet when I was 10 (I didn’t have my own computer, I got my first when I was 12) and I read the news and stories about how people got into trouble thanks to the internet. And when I got my own internet connection in 2010 when I was 20, I know how to protect myself on the internet and for me so far so good.
Being blackmailed into sex on Facebook is not the only thing that can happen to a person, there is an increasing trend where beautiful photos of girls are being posted on popular forums and sometimes even on porn forums, which can affect you for the rest of your life. These photos are then being used by other people in making fake profiles under fake names.
It’s amazingly simple for a fake profile on Facebook to get information from someone that they normally don’t share in real life, from mobile numbers to personal stories. Specially if you use a female profile it’s really easy to get information from both males and females alike.
This video on from Tom Ryan shows how easily how got access to military classifid information by using a fake profile called Robin Sage : Tom Ryan | Palantir Technologies
There is another danger that you don’t understand in adding unknown people on Facebook. You can hack ANY, YES ANY Facebook account, if you can add 3 profiles in to your target profile. I won’t going to reveal the process, but trust me it’s very simple to hack any Facebook profile if you can slip 3 friends.
How to stay safe :
- Try to stay anonymous as possible, don’t even give your real date of birth to Facebook, Facebook only need it to confirm you are above the age to have a Facebook account.
- Don’t add unknown people on Facebook, if you do make sure they don’t see personal stuff you post on Facebook.
- Always use two factor authentication, so it’ll make your Facebook account almost always bullet proof. You can activate two factor authentication from the security settings on Facebook.
- Don’t post any photos of you on Facebook, and it’s better to not to let others take photos of you if they are going to post them on Facebook.
- And importantly learn how to be safe online before you jump into it.